[Etherboot-users] re: netboot problem (update: solved in a fashion)

Peter L. Peres plp-ysDPMY98cNQDDBjDh4tngg at public.gmane.org
Sat Oct 9 16:27:20 UTC 2004

I managed to first use netboot-0.8.1 from Suse 6.1 (~1998) to generate a
floppy image for ne2000 generic (my target uses a rtl8019 (as) nic card),
running on a 2.2.16 suse kernel (it would not build on a 2.4 kernel). In
addition to working right out of the box, the rom image fits in 16k
instead of 32k needed by etherboot and modern (0.9.8) netboot rom images.

Then I managed to compile netboot-0.8.1 (including roms) on the same suse
6.1 machine (2.2.16 kernel), but only after getting a modern (not
contemporary with suse 6.1, the tools supplied with suse 6.1 failed to
build the netboot package, esp wrong as86 version) version of linux86
devtools (as86, bcc etc), namely linux86-0.16.14 and compiling and
installing it on the old suse machine. Then I had to fix several errors in
netboot-0.8.1 assembly files (duplicate labels and wrong or obsolete bcc
and as86 options).

I can now boot 'old' clients with cheap isa nics from a more modern
server, and I can build my own roms (I need small modifications, like try
again forever on error and some hardware initialisation).

This confirms that the problem with netboot-0.9.8 is software. I was never
able to make a rom image that booted a floppy, regardless of the source
floppy I used or the target nic or the machine used (including not the one
I used with 0.8.1 above, which worked immediately). Network transfer and
dhcp/arp resolution works but no image is run (I tried 4 different dos
floppy images).

Finding the correct package versions was painful and un-debian-like since
the dependency listing (f.ex. for the netboot package) on the debian.org
package listings does not mention the dependencies. There should really be
a list of things that work with each other, at the netboot or etherboot
project sites imho.

Again:

knoppix hd install/debian testing/unstable, with gcc3.3.3 was unable to
build a working rom floppy using etherboot for rtl8019 target nic, the
floppy causing hang on boot when built from source and wrong image message
when using the version from rom-o-matic. I had to revert to netboot-0.9.8
which also failed to compile and then to 0.8.1 which worked as binary and
could be compiled after some debugging.

Comments are welcome,

Peter