where is gasp ? (gnu assembler preprocessor) ?

Peter L. Peres plp-ysDPMY98cNQDDBjDh4tngg at public.gmane.org
Sat Oct 9 08:04:45 UTC 2004

On Fri, 8 Oct 2004, Lennart Sorensen wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 08, 2004 at 03:50:26PM -0400, Peter L. Peres wrote:
>> Where did it disappear ? I have problems building netboot and I cannot
>> find this file. Why ? gnu.org says it is in binutils but it is not (2.14).
>>
>> What now ?
>>
>> Has anyone built the roms for netboot successfully ? If so, using what
>> toolchain ?
>
> I certainly don't have gasp as a program on my machine.  I thought gnu
> assembler did it's own preprocessing.  I haven't ever tried building any
> netboot roms though.  All my current hardware has PXE support built in
> with  onboard network or by supporting my add in card in the BIOS (Yay
> 3c905C + A7V bios).

gasp was deleted sometime after binutils 2.9 came out but the gas does not
preprocess the same way gasp used to. The roms are built from 'canned'
binaries (source assembled once upon a time and stored in c files as
initialised arrays). I am now searching my collection of antique linux cds
to find one that has gasp. Ken Yap can't say what toolchain I need to
build etherboot (I have trouble building that too).

Peter