Memory probing

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Tue Oct 5 14:55:14 UTC 2004

On Tue, Oct 05, 2004 at 10:08:26AM -0400, Andy Jack wrote:
> Well you don't always have to turn off the computer to take off the
> cover.
>
> If you have I2C installed and working (i.e. lets you read hardware
> sensors, mobo temps and voltages) you could read the EEPROMs on the
> dimms and they'll have simple info like "I'm a 256mb" "I'm a 128mb".
>
> The eyeball method is probably the easiest though.

As far as I know, those are the only two options available.  The BIOS
does not as far as I know tell the OS how the ram is configured since it
doesn't matter to the OS.  Not like a NUMA system where some memory is
slower/faster than other memory relative to each CPU and it does matter
to the OS.  But even those just tell the OS how much memory is connected
to each CPU, not what size/speed each DIMM is, since really, who cares
at the software level.

Lennart Sorensen