Memory probing

Andy Jack f.e.jack-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Tue Oct 5 14:08:26 UTC 2004

On Tue, Oct 05, 2004 at 09:52:00AM -0400, Terry Tanski wrote:
> On Tue, 5 Oct 2004, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> > The command 'free' tends to show me what I want to know.
>
> free will tell 'you have 1.5G mem total'. What I want to know is 'you
> have 4 memory slots, three are populated with 512MB DIMMS'.

Well you don't always have to turn off the computer to take off the
cover.

If you have I2C installed and working (i.e. lets you read hardware
sensors, mobo temps and voltages) you could read the EEPROMs on the
dimms and they'll have simple info like "I'm a 256mb" "I'm a 128mb".

The eyeball method is probably the easiest though.

Andy