Linux in the TDSB

Igor Denisov denisov-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Oct 5 02:33:59 UTC 2004

I intend to present Linux as a n alternative for Win2K for the network clients.

Each is basically an off-the-shelf PC, fully functional on its own,
but also able to log on to the board-wide netowork and connect to the
user's shared drive. I have a plan for the connecting-to-share part,
the user authentication, etc,

but I assume the board will also want fairly strict user privilege
controls (hands-off browser history, than kind of thing), something I
have little experience with (besides not running as root :-)

As for compatibility, OpenOffice will do fine, no one really knows or
seems to care about MS Office's more advanced functionality, most
people would be fine using Notepad :-)

In my essay, I mention how the life of the hardware can be prolonged
with LInux, most  distros, even in their latest iterations, can be
lightened and run on the usual board PII-400 with 128 MB ram. When
they'll go for XP/Longhorn, they'll need an upgrade (heck, they need
an upgrade _now_), with Linux, they won't for a while.

I plan to make an official proposal in a few weeks, so far, I've been
approaching the head of IT and others with the idea to get an idea
about the current attitude towards OSS/Linux.

Igor