Linux in the TDSB

William Park opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org
Tue Oct 5 02:21:33 UTC 2004

On Mon, Oct 04, 2004 at 09:38:56PM -0400, Igor Denisov wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I am currently involved in an effort to get the TDSB (the Toronto
> school board) to agree to beta-test Linux as an OS for the clients on
> its board-wide network.
>
> I've made contact with some of the people close / at the IT management
> top, as well as the support folks, etc.
> The Standards and Practices committee seems quite intimidating at this
> point, I see them as largely conservative.
>
> Although several schools have already tried and do run Linux as part
> of their Comp. Sci. programs, they seem to mostly use stand-alone
> workstations or small server + thin client labs.
> I intend to get Linux to be used as a client on the whole network and
> actually be approved for that use.
>
> Can anyone suggest any strategies on how to best promote this idea or
> what _not_ to do?

Go with Thin Clients approach.  But, it really depends on what they want
to do.  Do they want just email/dns/firewall/fileserver/... or do they
want to run MS-Office with 100% compatibility?  If first, Linux is very
good choice.  If second, then MS-Office already gives you 100%
compatability without staff retraining.

--
William Park <opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org>