Apt-get problem ?

Jim Taylor jim-NZ0Nh92OcoOw5LPnMra/2Q at public.gmane.org
Mon Oct 4 15:45:53 UTC 2004

I have attempted to install several programs using kpacakge and been
unsuccessful. I get this error message;

<pt-get install --yes 'gimp-help-common' ;echo RESULT=$?
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
You might want to run `apt-get -f install' to correct these:
  kdelibs4: Depends: kdelibs-data (>= 4:3.3.0) but 4:3.2.2-2 is to be
installed
E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or specify a
solution).
RESULT=100

I the try # apt-get -f install, which produces this message;

Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
Correcting dependencies... Done
  kdelibs-data
  kdelibs-data
1 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 766 not upgraded.
17 not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 0B/7058kB of archives.
After unpacking 1581kB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
(Reading database ... 94304 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace kdelibs-data 4:3.2.2-2
(using .../kdelibs-data_4%3a3.3.0-2_all.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement kdelibs-data ...
Replacing files in old package korganizer ...
Replacing files in old package kcontrol ...
dpkg: error
processing /var/cache/apt/archives/kdelibs-data_4%3a3.3.0-2_all.deb
(--unpack):
 trying to overwrite `/usr/share/mimelnk/audio/x-ms-wma.desktop', which is
also in package kmplayer
dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)
 /var/cache/apt/archives/kdelibs-data_4%3a3.3.0-2_all.deb
root at 0[jimt]#

In the original command an older version of the library is to be installed.
The apt-get -f install command appears to be updating the library. I don't
understand the error or the error code and does this happen when trying to
overwrite `/usr/share/mimelnk/audio/x-ms-wma.desktop' ?

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Jim