GNU Build Utilities

John Wildberger wildberger-iRg7kjdsKiH3fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org
Sun Oct 3 01:58:58 UTC 2004

On Sunday 03 October 2004 04:21 am, Peter L. Peres wrote:

> The point was that that is precisely the example you asked for (the right
> program too, apparently). It's your choice, just for the record: I
> seldomly use autoconf because if you write programs cleanly it only takes
> a few #defines to adjust it to any *nix environment. What autoconf really
> does is, it provides a way to write those defines in a way that others,
> and machines, understand. Also, most lines in the source files are
> comments for your convenience and illustrate how things are done.
>ronment. What autoconf really
> does is, it provides a way to write those defi
> Peter
The example is not what I asked for. It is written from the viewpoint of a
user and not from the viewpint of a developer.It has all the steps that are
required for a user to generate the executable file "hello' by simple
invoking the three steps configure, make and make install. Taking the
viewpoint of a developer, I would like to know how the 'Makefile.am' looks
like, because this is a script I would have to write so that automake could
generate the Makefile.. There are no explanations of the items in the
'configure.in' script,. Again, it would be important to know these items,
because I would have to write them  so that I could run autoconfig. The
content of the 'configure.in' in the info makefile text is entirely different
from the one generated from the referenced tarball. Rather confusing,
considering this being a  tutorial,
The problem with info/man pages is, that they are really not intended as
learning text, but ruther only as memory aids for those who already know the
subject. It is also for this reason that the examples are so longwinded,
because they are intended as templetes and as such incorporate all
conceivable variations. Again, not very useful for an aspiring novice.

John