GPL'ed our backup program :)! Looking for beta-testers/coders officially

Madison Kelly linux-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Fri Oct 1 21:24:08 UTC 2004

(This may be a duplicate, my first try to send seems to have failed.
Sorry if that happens!)

Hi all,

   Wonderful news!! (well, from my point of view).

   My boss has agreed to release the backup program I have been working
on (and asking you all about so much) under the GPL2! I am really happy
that he has agreed to do this and now I feel like I can properly ask for
help. Admittedly I am quite biased, but I think the backup program has
really great potential.

   Quick recap of what it is:

   The program is called "TLE-BU" (The Linux Experience BackUp). It used
any hard drive partition as a source or destination and it supports
hot-swap (via USB/Firewire, SCA, etc) and any file system the underlying
OS can read or right. It intelligently decides what files will be backed
up to where and does not need care how or where a partition is connected
nor whether it is mounted or not. It archives complete file information
making it possible to search for files on media that is offline using a
very configurable search engine.

   All of this works already though the program is very much in an alpha
state. What I need help with is improving database performance (it is
quite DB-intensive... it's strength and it's weakness), security and
stability. I think it is quite advanced for where it is at however I
also know that it needs a lot of work before it can be considered mature
enough to use in production.

   If you want to help, what you need is a test machine and a few
partitions. There is no installer yet (that will come shortly... there
is still a few bugs that need to be ironed out) however it is simply a
matter of copying the relevant files to the proper directory for
whatever web-server you want to use to see. It needs a database
(currently only psql is supported but I want to expand this to perl's
DBI and any other SQL compatible DB). Other than that it needs a few
programs you probably already have: 'blkid', 'sudo', 'fdisk', etc.

   If anyone is interested in helping or wants to know more, please
email me either here or off the list at 'mkelly_at_alteeve_dot_com'.

Madison

PS - The program is written in perl with a bit of javascript.