strange cups problem

Peter L. Peres plp-ysDPMY98cNQDDBjDh4tngg at public.gmane.org
Sun Oct 3 01:44:50 UTC 2004

I am relatively new to cups and I have a small problem: I can print
anything (text, graphics, ps, anything) from command line using lpr ...
but many programs (like firefox, acrobat, gimp etc) print raw ps files.
How do I fix this ? I have PRINTER set to the name of the cups printer in
the environment (not the name of the device, but the symbolic name of the
printer in cups). The system is debian based.

any ideas are welcome, tia,

Peter