Rogers NNTP

Byron L. Sonne blsonne-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Sat Oct 2 01:42:45 UTC 2004

> Accessing multimedia newsgroups is somthing I seldom do.
> Text based and even jpeg/gif type posts  are still accesible with no problem.
> However, today when I attempted to save an avi file, I got a ``handshake
> failed'' message from the server.

I, unlike you, frequent the binaries of usenet (far too much for my own
good probably!) and ran into the same problem. It would also take a long
time to connect and start refreshing the header list. Both went away
with some very simple host/FQDN tweaks.

I fixed it by setting my connection limit to 2, and using
'nntp.bloor.phub.net.cable.rogers.com' (you may have to use something
germane to your geographic location; I'm very near Bathurst & Eglinton)
instead of just 'nntp' or 'news'. This in turn appears to resolve to
news.isp.giganews.com, and the article retention period appears to be
much, much longer than it used to be.

You do not need to make any auth changes or whatnot. I think it was just
a case of ugly DNS.

BTW, I'm using Pan 0.14.2 (pan.rebelbase.com).