CompuSale Computer Show review

James McIntosh jemcinto-cpI+UMyWUv+w5LPnMra/2Q at public.gmane.org
Tue Nov 30 00:51:52 UTC 2004

At 11:24 PM 2004/11/29 +0000, Adam Raymond wrote:
(snip)

>Overall I have to say that future

Don't you mean past, or previous ?

years had been a bigger success for
>compufest.

It was actually called "Computer Fest", not "compufest".

>I actually talked to some people that had said there were
>troubles with the owners, that had lead to the poor show this year.

The same downtown in the computer industry killed off The Canadian Computer
Show and ComDEx (Computer Dealers' Exposition). Blame the downturn, not the
split.

>didn't get the full story, but it seems as if the owners had gone
>their own ways.

Mr. George Bashir says that he was the original founder of Computer Fest.

He owns 3 stores in Scarborough:

   - Books & Music,
     Agincourt Mall,
     3850 Sheppard Avenue East at Kennedy Road,
     Scarborough

   - Books 4 Less,
     Warden Power Centre,
     Warden Avenue north of St. Clair Avenue East

   - CompuBooks,
     3395 St. Clair Avenue East,
     between Kennedy Road and Midland Avenue,
     Scarborough

He is now running Super Computer Sale.

He runs much smaller shows, much more often, at first for $3, now free.

He operates them in a variety of locations, and a variety of cities in the
Greater Toronto area.

He recently had one on a Friday in St. Lawrence Market, at the intersection
of Jarvis and Front Street, downtown Toronto.

This past Saturday, three days ago, he ran one in unit 2, 3395 St. Clair
Avenue East, next door to CompuBooks, which he owns.

Admission was free.

He provided free:
   - pizza, pop, bottled water, cookies and a large variety of candies.

Apart from binoculars, and satellite TV receivers which interact with
personal computers, and connect to the Web, everything was computer-related.

One booth was selling Borland Windows software for fifty cents a package.

He distributed free Linux CD-ROM software, free cables, etc.

>One still running compufest. What a shame.

This past Saturday, the two men who were owners of Computer Fest, now
divided, were simultaneously running competing shows - one by the airport
(Compu Sale), and one in Scarborough (Super Computer Sale).

Jim McIntosh