CompuSale Computer Show review

Paul King pking123-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Tue Nov 30 03:08:24 UTC 2004

Colin said (among other things):
> just to get in the door (grumble). Part of the show was devoted to direct
> marketing people, with some cosmetics firms, and cooking equipment firms (the
> former I have ZERO interest in, the latter my interest is ... somewhat limited).
> The direct marketing people did noticeably dilute the focus of the show.

I was doing the Free advice table, and wholeheartedly agree. I had people
walking up to us wondering (rightly so) what we were giving free advice about,
since the sign above us ("free advice table") left it kind of open, and not
everything at CompuSale was computer-oriented. No, we don't give advice on your
love life, investments, or whatnot. It was the first time in my experience this
has happened, after doing this in the past.

I also commented to my wife that if it was that hard for the organisers to find
reputable computer sellers, the least they could have done is bring in
*electronics* vendors - stereo, video, home theatre - since that *can* have a
(however tenuous) PC association.

But to be fair, they did bring Myles White out of hibernation. While I am not a
terribly big Myles White fan, it is a big boost to CompuSale's profile, and two
hours of Myles is a darn sight better than having a telemarketer up there with
a powerpoint show for the same two hours.

Paul