"Linux" motherboard

Anton Markov anton-F0u+EriZ6ihBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Sun Nov 21 23:22:33 UTC 2004

phil wrote:
> I've been trying to research Linux compatibility with respect to parts
> for a new machine I want to buy.  I discovered the following story from
> the past July about Asus wanting nothing to do with open source systems

I wonder if that's why they provide their own open-source drivers for
the sound and network chipsets for many of their motherobard. :)

> <http://www.mozillaquest.com/Linux04/Asus_Sucks_Story-01.html> even
> though *most* of their features do work on Linux...and the ones with
> problems can be worked around fairly cheaply.
All the real features of my board work correctly, except for custom boot
logos, "Instant Music" and other crap. I find that Asus boards do a lot
of things in hardware, including detecting USB storage devices and
(optionally) emulating them as floppies (but I've never had a problem
with the Linux usb-storage driver).

The only thing I could complain about is lack of ACPI suspend (S1, S3),
but that is really a kernel, not an Asus problem (I did get it working
once with a -mm kernel).

The chipset is very important too. Intel and VIA -based boards are
well-supported under Linux. I've heard problems about Promise
(pseudo-)hardware RAID controllers (who needs them anyways?).

STAY AWAY from ATI chipsets, especially if you hope to use the on-board
video; I hear they are nothing but trouble.

I haven't had experience with the AMD/NVidia combos from Asus, but I'll
get a chance to play with one soon, so I'll add to this thread.

> Since it would be nice to support those who respect the community, does
> anyone know if any of the motherboard manufacturers *do* support Linux
> explicitly?

That's a matter of principle I guess. I would look first at the quality
of their components and their reputation, and then at the testimony of
some third-party OEM vendor who are looking for someone to blame for
their problems. I would like to know if _any other_ motherboard
manufacturer "supports" GNU/Linux according to the definition in that
article.

For more general info, look in the archives for a thread about a month
ago on hardware compatability and stuff.

--
Anton Markov <("anton" + "@" + "truxtar" + "." + "com")>

GnuPG Key fingerprint =
5546 A6E2 1FFB 9BB8 15C3  CE34 46B7 8D93 3AD1 44B4

*** LINUX - MAY THE SOURCE BE WITH YOU! ***