SUSE Linux ?

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Thu Nov 18 23:41:22 UTC 2004

Peter L. Peres wrote:

> On Wed, 17 Nov 2004, Geoffrey Hunter wrote:
>
>> Today I heard of the SUSE Linux distribution: it is being supported by
>> UNISYS on their servers.  Does anybody on this TLUG list know more
>> about it and/or have experience using it ?  I got the impression that
>> it is a carefully selected set of applications on top of the kernel.
>> The acronym is originally German: Systems und Software Engineering.
>

> Suse is not an acronym, it stands for Konrad Suse, a German pioneer in
> computing (search for "Konrad Suse" on google).

Didn't he invent the SuSE Phone?  ;-)

Actually, if you check, you'll find his name was spelled Zuse and
there's also this little bit of trivia at
http://www.suse.com/us/company/suse/suse/factsheet.html
"Establishment  	1992: Gesellschaft für Software- und System-Entwicklung
mbH"

Notice the letters SuSE in that name?  SuSE is an acronym.

BTW, your clock is wrong too.  It appears you sent your message about
three hours after I replied to it.  ;-)