SUSE Linux ?

Jason Shein jason-xgs8i/e9EeWTtA8H5PvdGCwD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Wed Nov 17 22:03:58 UTC 2004

Geoffrey Hunter wrote:

>Today I heard of the SUSE Linux distribution: it is being supported by
>UNISYS on their servers.  Does anybody on this TLUG list know more
>about it and/or have experience using it ?  I got the impression that
>it is a carefully selected set of applications on top of the kernel.
>The acronym is originally German: Systems und Software Engineering.
>I'm interested because my currently used Linux (Mandrake 8.1) has
>several problems:
>a) the only way to get a multi-page file to print is to re-boot,
>b) it hangs up after trying to read/write to a floppy,
>c) only one instance of Mozilla can be run concurrently,
>d) the K-shell is not user-friendly - its Midnight Commander
>emulation has no supporting documentation telling you how to
>change directories, or link the command box to the 2 directory boxes,
>e) it is slow to initialize applications compared with Windows.
>    I ordered the latest Mandrake on the web (for around $25) a couple
>of weeks ago, but it still hasn't arrived, so I'm mostly using Windows
>now to avoid the problems listed above.
>
>p.s. APL users may be interested in the sad news that Ken Iverson died
>of a stroke on Octoer 19th (age 83 years): APL was the first interactive
>`timesharing' system implemented on IBM System/360 in the 1960s.
>That was the birth of instant response computing
>that is now used everywhere.
>There is to be a memorial service in the OISE auditorium tomorrow
>(Thursday, Nov.18) at 7 p.m.
>
>Geoffrey Hunter
>Chemistry Building Room 318
>York University, 4700 Keele Street
>Toronto, Ontario, Canada M3J1P3
>Office: 416-736-5306
>Office Fax: 416-736-5936
>email: GHunter-4mebg6r7xUY at public.gmane.org
>--
>The Toronto Linux Users Group.      Meetings: http://tlug.ss.org
>TLUG requests: Linux topics, No HTML, wrap text below 80 columns

I am currently using SuSE 9.2 on one of my laptops and loving it. The
latest improvements for mobile users are great.

Now if only they could get a flawless madwifi setup. - ( but I dont
think any disto does right now )

--
" Eventually people tire of repairing broken Windows,
       And decide to replace them with something stronger"
		 jason-xgs8i/e9EeWTtA8H5PvdGCwD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org