SUSE Linux ?

Francois Ouellette fouellet-cpI+UMyWUv9BDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Wed Nov 17 22:20:18 UTC 2004

----- Original Message -----

I work at UNISYS!

Linux has been announced back in August, and SuSE is available today (as
well as Red Hat) on the ES7000 servers which are really Intel mainframe
systems.

http://www.unisys.com/products/es7000__linux/index.htm

Imagine Linux runing on a 16 or 32-processor 32-bit or even 64-bit machine!

Unisys is involved in the open source community, and their announcement of
Linux support has
been well received in the industry (except M$).

I have installed SuSE 9.1 "personal" on my machine at home and did not have
any problem like
the ones you are describing for the other distro.
It was a rather simple and straightforward installation, the only things
that still do not work are the
USB scanner (an old model, no driver from SANE) and the infamous PCI
winmodem (I don't use dialups anyways).
I find most of the KDE desktop components good but not to excitement. I
prefer Netscape as a browser.
As discusses earlier on this board there might be an issue with some disks
partitions depending on the
BIOS and other conditions, causing other partitions not to boot anymore
after re-partitioning the disk,
but there is a fix from SuSE (search their web support knowledge database
for "windows boot").

You need at least 256 MB of RAM to be comfortable with the X stuff and
desktop programs.

  François Ouellette
<fouellet-cpI+UMyWUv9BDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org>