SUSE Linux ?

Geoffrey Hunter GHunter-kgJIzn72htc at public.gmane.org
Wed Nov 17 20:47:28 UTC 2004

Today I heard of the SUSE Linux distribution: it is being supported by
UNISYS on their servers.  Does anybody on this TLUG list know more
about it and/or have experience using it ?  I got the impression that
it is a carefully selected set of applications on top of the kernel.
The acronym is originally German: Systems und Software Engineering.
I'm interested because my currently used Linux (Mandrake 8.1) has
several problems:
a) the only way to get a multi-page file to print is to re-boot,
b) it hangs up after trying to read/write to a floppy,
c) only one instance of Mozilla can be run concurrently,
d) the K-shell is not user-friendly - its Midnight Commander
emulation has no supporting documentation telling you how to
change directories, or link the command box to the 2 directory boxes,
e) it is slow to initialize applications compared with Windows.
    I ordered the latest Mandrake on the web (for around $25) a couple
of weeks ago, but it still hasn't arrived, so I'm mostly using Windows
now to avoid the problems listed above.

p.s. APL users may be interested in the sad news that Ken Iverson died
of a stroke on Octoer 19th (age 83 years): APL was the first interactive
`timesharing' system implemented on IBM System/360 in the 1960s.
That was the birth of instant response computing
that is now used everywhere.
There is to be a memorial service in the OISE auditorium tomorrow
(Thursday, Nov.18) at 7 p.m.

Geoffrey Hunter
Chemistry Building Room 318
York University, 4700 Keele Street