Firefox compatibility for VS.net Web apps?

Andrej Marjan amarjan-e+AXbWqSrlAAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Nov 16 21:17:50 UTC 2004

Aaron Vegh wrote:

>This is funky stuff, and thanks for your assistance! I'm going to find
>out for sure whether they're using ASP or VB, although I'm pretty sure
>it's the latter.
>
>Here's some examples of broken functionality outside of WinIE. The app
>in question is a scheduling system that allows you to drag and drop
>appointments to different locations in a calendar. It also has a
>capability to bring up a floating "tooltip"-style window when you
>mouse over a calendar item, showing the item's contents. As well, what
>appears to be a standard ActiveX calendar-style date picker doesn't
>work unless in WinIE (or MacIE, by the way).

ActiveX files are basically win32 binaries. They're run natively by IE,
or by (Netscape?/Mozilla?) on win32 with an adapter plugin. They won't
run on a Mac without some sort of Windows emulation software (like Wine
on Linux).

This is also why ActiveX is such an enormous security hole: it's native
binaries running unrestricted on your local box!

>None of the features above work outside of WinIE. Do you suppose that
>these behaviours could be a result of broken adapative rendering, as
>you suggest? Or is there something more at work?

Basically the problems you describe seem to have nothing to do with
ASP.NET and everything to do with the use of win32-only client-side
programs.

Possible solutions include finding some way to run ActiveX on macs, or
replacing the ActiveX calendar control with a Java applet or some sort
of DHTML.