Firefox compatibility for VS.net Web apps?

Andrej Marjan amarjan-e+AXbWqSrlAAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Nov 16 19:21:52 UTC 2004

Aaron Vegh wrote:

>Now here's the kicker. As a Mac and Linux user and non-Microsoft kind
>of guy in general, they've asked me to consult them on how to make
>their application compatible with Mac IE in particular, but a nice
>gold standard like Firefox generally. The correct answer,
>unfortunately, isn't "use a different development environment!" Given
>that we're stuck with MS, I need to find a resource that shows what
>elements of VS.NET break browser compatibility. An extensive search on
>the web has yielded nothing. Strangely, all the MS hoopla suggests
>that there are no browser compatibility issues when using .NET.

Client side script validation only works in IE. There are alternate 3rd
party validation libraries (some are free, for some definition of free)
which are DOM-based and can be used instead. Server-side validation
always works, of course.

Also by default, ASP.NET is unaware of any non-MS browsers more recent
than Netscape 4, so will output HTML 3.2 by default.

This is easily fixed with the insertion of appropriate magic into
machine.config or an app's web.config to tell asp.net about more modern
browsers.

A good starting point for info about all this stuff:

There may be other problems, but these are the only ones I've
encountered myself. They're not really VS.NET problems, they're ASP.NET
problems.