Firefox compatibility for VS.net Web apps?

Taavi Burns jaaaarel-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Nov 16 18:28:53 UTC 2004

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 10:54:51 -0500, Aaron Vegh <aaronvegh-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Hi there,
> One of my clients is a software development shop that only uses
> Microsoft products. In this case, as in most, they have used Visual
> Studio.NET to create a scheduling application. Perhaps too late, they
> found out THEIR client is running Macs, and will be using Mac IE to
> view the site. This issue has come up in the past, where they'll build
> sites that look and work as expected in WinIE, but break in other
> browsers.

A few words of advice: DO NOT USE IE ON MAC.  Microsoft has STOPPED
development on this product.  The most recent version of this product that
I can find is 5.2.3, which was released in June of 2003.  This may not be a
good thing to have to tell the client, but I'm quite surprised that anyone still
uses IE on Mac (apart from those poor, poor souls who are using antiquated
hardware that either won't run OSX, or that people _think_ won't run OSX).

They should seriously be looking at using Safari or Firefox.  Camino and
Opera would be other less mainstream choices.

Unfortunately, I don't have any other suggestions regarding VS.net and
browser compatibility, but getting RID of IE on the Mac will make things
go much more smoothly I'm quite sure.  I mean, you can't even use Gmail
from IE/Mac.  ;)

--
taa
/*eof*/