lunuxcaffe; logo contest - mystery font

Walter Dnes waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Tue Nov 16 01:23:48 UTC 2004

On Sun, Nov 14, 2004 at 09:20:38PM -0800, Lloyd D Budd wrote

> > Sorry, no intent to put down Gentoo per se, but obvious untruths about
> > my distro make me upset.
> Then why not also remove the involvement of the other distro's such as
> RedHat or SUSE ;-)

  Has Redhat improved that much since I last ran it?  I assume you're
talking Fedora 2?  I thought that RH7.3 was the best distro of its day,
but I don't remember it having that ability.

  After 7.3 Redhat got the Microsoft disease and came up with fat
bloated 8.0 and 9.0.  When the dropping of support for 7.3 forced my
hand, I moved to Debian, precisely because they were the extreme
opposite of Redhat's version-du-jour mentality.  For a while it was
nice.  However, when the latest versions of Real and Firefox refuse to
install because your GTK and other libs are too old, I had to jump
again.

  Gentoo is nice because it doesn't have a point-version release every
few months, but you can keep your libs and apps up to date as newer
versions show up.  With "slots", I can keep the previous version of a
lib around whilst slowly migrating my apps to newer libs.  I believe
that Redhat had "compatibility libraries" that accomplished something
similar.  But when a point-version upgrade came along (e.g. 7.2 => 7.2)
the word-to-the-wise was to blow away your old / partition and install
the new OS.  Keep your old data partition but *DON'T* try to upgrade the
OS over top of the old version.

An infinite number of monkeys pounding away on keyboards will
eventually produce a report showing that Windows is more secure,
and has a lower TCO, than linux.