lunuxcaffe; logo contest - mystery font

Lloyd D Budd foolswisdom-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Nov 16 01:55:33 UTC 2004

On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 20:23:48 -0500, Walter Dnes <waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 14, 2004 at 09:20:38PM -0800, Lloyd D Budd wrote
>
> > > Sorry, no intent to put down Gentoo per se, but obvious untruths about
> > > my distro make me upset.
> > Then why not also remove the involvement of the other distro's such as
> > RedHat or SUSE ;-)

>   Has Redhat improved that much since I last ran it?  I assume you're
> talking Fedora 2?  I thought that RH7.3 was the best distro of its day,
> but I don't remember it having that ability.
Are we still talking about dependency resolution ?  I do not know
first hand *either* .  I last used RH @ 9 , but then I was using
APT-RPM .  There are even more options now .

>   Gentoo is nice because it doesn't have a point-version release every
> few months, but you can keep your libs and apps up to date as newer
> versions show up.
Debian SID ,  Ubuntu , and others .

> I believe
> that Redhat had "compatibility libraries" that accomplished something
> similar.  But when a point-version upgrade came along (e.g. 7.2 => 7.2)
> the word-to-the-wise was to blow away your old / partition and install
> the new OS.  Keep your old data partition but *DON'T* try to upgrade the
> OS over top of the old version.
That was also often my experience .  *Upgrades* are an essential
distro feature to me ;-)

--
Peace be in you ,
Lloyd D Budd