cheap motherboard w/ integrated everything

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon Nov 15 19:41:19 UTC 2004

On Sat, Nov 13, 2004 at 03:01:50PM -0800, Lloyd D Budd wrote:
> Hi ,
>
> I am still working on constructing myself a PC -- time isn't money ,
> money is money .  I am looking @ a few very cheap motherboards with
> integrated everything :
>
> ASRock K7S41GX
> $46.48  CAD , only 2PCI , FSB/DDR 333 , cannot find Linux info
>
> ECS 741GX-M
> $52.50  CAD , but only FSB/DDR 333 , Linspire lists it as compatible .
>
> ASUS A7V400-MX
> $59.85  CAD , found good information about Linux
>
> Anyone able to scare me off these boards ?  -- and I know that I get
> what I pay for when it comes to integrated video .  Better yet would
> be success stories with any of the boards . ?

I wonder if the nforce boards with integrated video are still around.
That was probably among the best onboard video you could get.

Personally I don't want onboard video as it almost always means shared
memory, and I don't need anything taking away from my memory bandwidth.

Asus is the only brand I buy, and only the models with good chipsets (no
SiS for me at this time).

The A7V series has generally been very good.  I don't know which video
it uses.

To find out if something is Linux compatible, find out the chipset, and
look that up.  The board maker rarely affects compatibility, except if
their bios is seriously broken.

Lennart Sorensen