devfs/hotplug not working

JoeHill joehill-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Mon Nov 15 16:13:38 UTC 2004

Hey all,

I had a couple of zombie processes I couldn't kill, so I dropped to init 1 and
that solved the problem. When I came back up into runlevel 3 and started X, I
found I could no longer sync my Visor.

I opened up a term to tail /var/log/messages to see what was going on. Sometimes
in the past I have had to disconnect the USB plug for the cradle, then reconnect
it, and I can see in /var/log/messages when the Visor attempts to connect.
However, in this case, nothing.

I have tried stopping and restarting devfsd, which I can only assume is the
culprit here (hotplug?), to no avail. Still, /var/log/messages show no mention
of the device when it attempts to connect.

One thing's kinda strange, in Mandrake Control Center under Services, devfsd
shows as 'stopped', even though I can see from the CLI that it is running ('top
-u root).

Any ideas?

--
JoeHill / RLU #282046 / www.freeyourmachine.org
11:05:47 up 103 days, 11:58, 5 users, load average: 0.41, 0.64, 0.59