devfs/hotplug not working

Jason Shein jason-xgs8i/e9EeWTtA8H5PvdGCwD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Wed Nov 17 15:18:30 UTC 2004

JoeHill wrote:

>Hey all,
>
>I had a couple of zombie processes I couldn't kill, so I dropped to init 1 and
>that solved the problem. When I came back up into runlevel 3 and started X, I
>found I could no longer sync my Visor.
>
>I opened up a term to tail /var/log/messages to see what was going on. Sometimes
>in the past I have had to disconnect the USB plug for the cradle, then reconnect
>it, and I can see in /var/log/messages when the Visor attempts to connect.
>However, in this case, nothing.
>
>I have tried stopping and restarting devfsd, which I can only assume is the
>culprit here (hotplug?), to no avail. Still, /var/log/messages show no mention
>of the device when it attempts to connect.
>
>One thing's kinda strange, in Mandrake Control Center under Services, devfsd
>shows as 'stopped', even though I can see from the CLI that it is running ('top
>-u root).
>
>Any ideas?

First thing I would do is install and run rkhunter
http://www.rootkit.nl/   ( running this in a weekly / daily cronjob is a
good idea )

Make sure it is not a rootkit running those "zombie" processes, then
once you are certain you still have control of your system, go on trying
to diagnose the repair.

For more info
http://cayfer.bilkent.edu.tr/~cayfer/linux/Detecting_and_Removing_Rootkits.html

Hopefully you are not, but still worth a look

--
" Eventually people tire of repairing broken Windows,
       And decide to replace them with something stronger"
		 jason-xgs8i/e9EeWTtA8H5PvdGCwD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org