Getting new members and such

Bill Mudry billmudry-MwcKTmeKVNQ at public.gmane.org
Mon Nov 8 15:13:30 UTC 2004

At 03:18 PM 11/7/04 -0500, you wrote:
>Does the TLUG provide install fests ? (a time and place where you
>bring a cpu and leave with a cpu + linux)

Those who already really know their stuff well rarely need the help of others
and therefore do not have any dependencies for attending meetings ---- unless
it is for the social interaction and a night out. If you want to grow the Linux
crowd, you have to help people who have heard about it by offering workshops.

Once a person knows a subject well, it can seem easy to that person even
if it is very involved and they can lose sight of what it is like for new Linux
users or potential ones. If a person starts with enthusiasm only to see that
they get stuck, not able to get basic things running, that enthusiasm will die
out quite quickly. That is where workshop sessions on a regular basis means
gold to beginners --- me included.

For example, I wanted to have a way to be able to communicate with
anyone who is helping me via ssh while they are connected, so I tried to
install Gaim. At first I used RPM and got a list of dependencies that it could
not resolve. It was suggested I  try using urpmi. I did and still got a
dependency list. I will be asking for help on this later, but I offer this
for now
only as a case example of how frustrating it can be getting simple installs
to even work. Monthly/bimonthly workshops would help.

Although things are being done all the time to make using Linux easier once
*up-and-running*, Unix and Linux really *is* very complex. Not everyone
wishes to be an expert techie. Most PC users just have favorite activities
they want to install with minimal effort then retire into the comfort of the
activities they love to do.

>When I was part of NCSU lug in Raleigh, NC, USA we could pretty well
>double our meeting turnout by pasting up hand bills with simple things
>like "Do want to know more about linux" and the meeting time / place.
>It is amazing how many people have heard rumors about "this free
>Windows replacement" but don't know where to start looking.
>-Joseph-

Want new converts from Windows? Then expect to be doing a lot of educating
and hand holding. You will even turn new users away if they end up sitting
through sessions/meetings that sound totally foreign to them.

Bill