Organizing TLUG/newTLUG meeting for Tuesday

Bill Mudry billmudry-MwcKTmeKVNQ at public.gmane.org
Sat Nov 6 04:48:27 UTC 2004

>As our favorite OS gets more and more popular, LUGs should spring up all
>over the place ! It makes sense; think global, act local !

Exactly. There is only so much geographical ground you can cover from one
location.

> > I made a mistake on the date and Matthew corrected me. He is suggesting
> > December 7. I am new to both lists and all meetings, so Matthew would know
> > far better which nights to pick. However --- if this conflicts with
> meetings at
> > Linuxcaffe, lets all figure out a better time.
>
>TLUG meetings have traditionally been held the second Tuesday of each
>month. In December, that's the 14th !

So Dec. 7th would not be any conflict with any other Linux or computing event?

> > In no way have we meant for meetings in the west end to replace the
> downtown
> > meetings.
>Oh, good ! For one thing, I don't wanna go to Mississauga !

What? and not breath some fresh air? <wink>. Couldn't resist that.

> >  Someone coming from Kitchner, Burlington, Hamilton can find coming
> > all the way out to the east end of Toronto (where meetings have been)
> or even
> > Christie a long way to have to come for a few hours when travel time could
> > rival
> > that of time at the meetings ;-). This is *especially* true for those who
> > do not
> > have their own vehicle. Believe me, I know!
>Couldn't agree more. Cars suck! Not having a car sucks! Ya can't win :)
> >
> > I have felt excited at what is forming at Linuxcaffe. I think it is all a
> > great idea.
>Glad you think so too !

(did from the start of that thread).

> > Perhaps we should take care to not have meetings on the same evening so
> > anyone could even attend both groups if they want. We can increase our
> > total numbers, though, if we make it possible for people to attend meetings
> > over a wider geographical area.
>
>I'm gettin' a Idea !]
>
>Perhaps a brilliant (as yet unknown.. hint.. hint) php wrangler would
>help us get a rich and robust web calendar up at linuxcaffe, and we
>could ALL use it to co-ordinate our UGs. Add clear map/directions and an
>easy rideshare database and we've got a central system to smooth this
>meeting miasma ! Heck, if it's /real/ easy, we could extend the system
>to users across the county. Around the globe even !
>
>Mwahahahahha !              ...sorry.

Uh .... one sensible step at a time. Why not at least encourage other Linux
Groups in Ontario -- at least in principle. I realize it takes manpower to
do anything. Wouldn't you rather have a strong Linux *community" rather than
just one central concentration? I would think there are a lot of programmers
and Linux interested techies in Ottawa, Sudbury, etc.

>hmmm "OSS-HQ" anyone ? ..

Linux Caffe :-).