Organizing TLUG/newTLUG meeting for Tuesday

David J Patrick davidjpatrick-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Sat Nov 6 03:20:32 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-11-05 at 21:08, Bill Mudry wrote:

> I am all for meetings at Linuxcaffe. It is also more central and easier to
> get to
> for those of us in the west than it has been. However, there is eventually
> a limit
> of practicality on how far people can and are willing to travel. All recent
> discussions were for the formation of another complementary group for those
> who find it a long ways to go to meetings as they have been.

As our favorite OS gets more and more popular, LUGs should spring up all
over the place ! It makes sense; think global, act local !

> I made a mistake on the date and Matthew corrected me. He is suggesting
> December 7. I am new to both lists and all meetings, so Matthew would know
> far better which nights to pick. However --- if this conflicts with meetings at
> Linuxcaffe, lets all figure out a better time.

TLUG meetings have traditionally been held the second Tuesday of each
month. In December, that's the 14th !

> In no way have we meant for meetings in the west end to replace the downtown
> meetings.
Oh, good ! For one thing, I don't wanna go to Mississauga !
>  Someone coming from Kitchner, Burlington, Hamilton can find coming
> all the way out to the east end of Toronto (where meetings have been) or even
> Christie a long way to have to come for a few hours when travel time could
> rival
> that of time at the meetings ;-). This is *especially* true for those who
> do not
> have their own vehicle. Believe me, I know!
Couldn't agree more. Cars suck! Not having a car sucks! Ya can't win :)

> I have felt excited at what is forming at Linuxcaffe. I think it is all a
> great idea.
Glad you think so too !
> Perhaps we should take care to not have meetings on the same evening so
> anyone could even attend both groups if they want. We can increase our
> total numbers, though, if we make it possible for people to attend meetings
> over a wider geographical area.

I'm gettin' a Idea !]

Perhaps a brilliant (as yet unknown.. hint.. hint) php wrangler would
help us get a rich and robust web calendar up at linuxcaffe, and we
could ALL use it to co-ordinate our UGs. Add clear map/directions and an
easy rideshare database and we've got a central system to smooth this
meeting miasma ! Heck, if it's /real/ easy, we could extend the system
to users across the county. Around the globe even !

Mwahahahahha !              ...sorry.

hmmm "OSS-HQ" anyone ? ..
djp

--
If something's worth doing, it's worth OVERdoing