Organizing TLUG/newTLUG meetings for the west end of Metro, Golden Horseshoe

Bill Mudry billmudry-MwcKTmeKVNQ at public.gmane.org
Fri Nov 5 05:39:46 UTC 2004

At 12:05 AM 11/5/04 -0500, you wrote:
>On Thu, Nov 04, 2004 at 10:21:23PM -0500, Bill Mudry wrote:
> > For a start I don't think we really need a large meeting room. Nor
> > should we need a special speaker ---- at least not at first. I am sure
> > there are many of us that would be glad simply to meet each other,
> > share time and a meal once a month in a restaurant. One person
> > suggested days ago re. the new downtown restaurant that programmers
> > could present the projects they are working on. That could work well
> > even in restaurant settings up to 30 -50 people with arrangements at a
> > restaurant, even easier with a smaller group --- west end, too :-).
>
>For people with car, location is not a big deal.  It's parking for car
>and room for people.  How about right smack in the middle of Mississauga
>city hall?  Is there someone who knows people at Living Arts Centre?
>
>--
>William Park <opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org>
>Open Geometry Consulting, Toronto, Canada

I doubt we would have as many in attendance, William, as in Toronto, with
its larger population and higher density. Certainly I would think not at first,
anyway. Lets see how many replies we get over the next few days on this
thread. Looking in the reverse direction (.... just in case attendance is low)
I would be also happy meeting with even 4 or 5 members for a start :-).

As in my original message, if attendance grew marvelously, we would have
to do more research to find where our "crowd" could meet. Trust me, there
is something very sociable and friendly in meeting at a restaurant where
we can all share a mean and everyone can order what they want. The
places we used to go (IPG, International Programmers Guild) was somewhat
up scale, so there was a lot more and nicer choice than uh .... donuts at
Tim Hortons or burgers
at MacD. You would have LOVED the desserts they had (fancy cakes, pies, etc.)!

Meanwhile, (from experience) we were able to accommodate at
least 40, especially if we reserved a side room. Quite a few restaurants
are happy to oblige. After all, it means a few hundred dollars business for
them each night. A free wheeling agenda, especially during a meal gives
members lots of time to talk and fellowship together -- in comfort :-).

Bill