Organizing TLUG/newTLUG meetings for the west end of Metro, Golden Horseshoe

Bill Mudry billmudry-MwcKTmeKVNQ at public.gmane.org
Fri Nov 5 03:21:23 UTC 2004

In a conversation on the phone today with Matthew Rice, we got talking
again about the idea
of having meetings for the west end of the lake. I said I would help get
the word around more,
so here goes :-).

On first thoughts, it would be situated in Mississauga. That should make
sense since it is
central to a number of west end places including Etobicoke, Brampton,
Oakville, Burlington,
Mississauga itself (of course), perhaps even Hamilton, Kitchner, etc.
Matthew suggested somewhere
along Dundas in the west end of Mississauga.

How ironical, I thought, since I just happen to live five minutes walk from
the Woodchester
Mall off Dundas. Hehe..... honest, no prompting from me. Nevertheless, I
highly recommend
it. There are all kinds of eateries on Dundas between Erin Mills Parkway
and the 403 (and
Dundas). The #1 Mississauga Transit bus runs the whole length east-west to
Islington station,
other routes north-south. the #19 bus goes all the way to Shoppers World in
Brampton.
By car, the QEW is not that far and the 403 crosses Dundas even closer. The
closest train
station is Clarkson, so members even from Hamilton could ride GO.
Everything for the
region is well supplied with inroads.

For a start I don't think we really need a large meeting room. Nor should
we need a special
speaker ---- at least not at first. I am sure there are many of us that
would be glad simply to
meet each other, share time and a meal once a month in a restaurant. One
person suggested
days ago re. the new downtown restaurant that programmers could present the
projects
they are working on. That could work well even in restaurant settings up to
30 -50 people with
arrangements at a restaurant, even easier with a smaller group --- west
end, too :-).

A number of years ago, when I was membership manager of the International
Programmers
Guild, a whole bunch of us used to meet once a month first at Movenpick in
Toronto and
later in another restaurant (... forgot the name for now) and that worked
out fine. Everyone
got used to where the meetings would be. If the response is larger early
on, we will have to
rethink how and where to meet but there is no use over-planning at the start.

Lets see a show of hands on how many of you would be interested. Share your
ideas, what
you would want but be realistic for a start. Write to either list, email me
personally or feel free
to call me (905) 822-6088.

Bill Mudry