Undelete for reiserfs? - I am so fired!

Austin aacton-B71PBEe7S7Y at public.gmane.org
Thu Nov 4 20:10:25 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-11-04 at 14:52 -0500, Taavi Burns wrote:
> I also need to do something like that for myself.  I've nearly been
> bitten twice by my
> laptop's dying hd, which I am actually replacing tonight (yay).

Totally.  Laptop drives are horrible for dying.

My solution is like this:

I bought a cheap, external USB drive.  I set it to spin down when not in
use.  It's connected to the server on my home net.

I always make a separate /home partition on every system.  I don't care
if I lose root.  (I can reinstall the system in 20 minutes from CDs.)
When I get home at night, I pop my laptop into the dock, and a script
rsync's everything from /home on laptop to the USB drive on the server.

Excluding my movie and mp3 files, /home's quite small, and not much
changes daily, so I don't even notice it happen.

This way, I could lose my laptop, let my server melt down, and still
have all my vital files.

Gotta love rsync.

Austin