Undelete for reiserfs? - I am so fired!

Taavi Burns jaaaarel-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Nov 4 20:44:59 UTC 2004

On Thu, 04 Nov 2004 15:10:25 -0500, Austin <aacton-B71PBEe7S7Y at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-11-04 at 14:52 -0500, Taavi Burns wrote:
> > I also need to do something like that for myself.  I've nearly been
> > bitten twice by my
> > laptop's dying hd, which I am actually replacing tonight (yay).
>
> Totally.  Laptop drives are horrible for dying.
>
> My solution is like this:
>
> I bought a cheap, external USB drive.  I set it to spin down when not in
> use.  It's connected to the server on my home net.
>
> I always make a separate /home partition on every system.  I don't care
> if I lose root.  (I can reinstall the system in 20 minutes from CDs.)
> When I get home at night, I pop my laptop into the dock, and a script
> rsync's everything from /home on laptop to the USB drive on the server.
>
> Excluding my movie and mp3 files, /home's quite small, and not much
> changes daily, so I don't even notice it happen.
>
> This way, I could lose my laptop, let my server melt down, and still
> have all my vital files.
>
> Gotta love rsync.

Yeah, though this is a Mac, so one has to be careful about the resource
forks on files.  But it can (and should, and will) be done!  My /home
clocked in at 3GB, though a good half of that is in photos which don't
change that often anyway. That naturally excludes the MP3 collection(s).  ;)

--
taa
/*eof*/