Undelete for reiserfs? - I am so fired!

Madison Kelly linux-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Thu Nov 4 18:13:30 UTC 2004

noah.gellner-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org wrote:
> I was trying to untar a massive file containing *all* the backed up data. The
> drive it was on didn't have room so I mv'ed foo.tar to a different drive. Then
> disaster struck. Instead of typing tar -xvf foo.tar I typed tar -cvf foo.tar.
> This failed but first erased the backup.
>
> Can I recover from either location?

   First and foremost, shut down the drive.

   With that done, maybe. The data is at least partially still there
though because a "new" file was written over it at least a small part is
likely gone. I wish I could tell you a quick and easy way (and maybe
someone else here can) but my DR experience is limited to accidental
formats and physically dead drives. If you are really desperate, I had
to deal with a DR company (I will have to dig up their name) that
recovered an ext3 filesystem from a server whose hard drive physically
failed on me for $1,700cnd. It wasn't cheap but we got everything back.

Madison

--
Madison Kelly

TLE-BU; GPL Linux Backup Software