Undelete for reiserfs? - I am so fired!

Austin aacton-B71PBEe7S7Y at public.gmane.org
Thu Nov 4 18:17:52 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-11-04 at 13:07 -0500, noah.gellner-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org wrote:
> I was trying to untar a massive file containing *all* the backed up data. The
> drive it was on didn't have room so I mv'ed foo.tar to a different drive. Then
> disaster struck. Instead of typing tar -xvf foo.tar I typed tar -cvf foo.tar.
> This failed but first erased the backup.
>
> Can I recover from either location?

As long as the rest of the file is still there, yes.

Unmount the partition.
Run: # reiserfsck -S /dev/hdx (whatever it is).
This should give the file a numerical name and put it in /lost+found on
said partition.
It will probably undelete thousands of other old files if they are still
there too, but you should easily be able to figure it out if it's a very
large file.

Worked for me last week when I tried to run:
# rm -fr vst*
but I ran
# rm -fr vst *
in home /home directory.  Ugh.

I love reiser.  I'd say I got over 95% of my files back, over half of
them with names.

Austin