Hello (cbbrowne)

Taavi Burns jaaaarel-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Nov 3 19:56:13 UTC 2004

On Wed, 3 Nov 2004 14:43:59 -0500, John Vetterli <jvetterli-zC6tqtfhjqE at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> How can a mailing list server verify who is sending a message?  (Short
> of requiring all posters to sign their messages with PGP/GPG.)

I've seen various mailing list softwares require that the poster only post
messages originating from the same mailserver as that post signed up
under.  This does however make things very messy for people who migrate
from one location to another and benignly adjust the headers to reflect where
replies should actually be addressed.  Then again, more people should
probably use smtp with tls, though this still leads to a single point
of failure.
Should that mailserver go down, you'd have to sign up with a new address
to post to the list in the interim (can be a PITA).  That and while I've been
shuffling addresses I've had very strange things happen, like receiveing
doubleposts to the same address.  *shrug*  It's not a trivial undertaking no
matter what you do, seeing how openly the internet mail system was designed,
and how entrenched it is after 30 odd years.

--
taa
/*eof*/