Hello (cbbrowne)

Peter L. Peres plp-ysDPMY98cNQDDBjDh4tngg at public.gmane.org
Wed Nov 3 21:21:17 UTC 2004

On Wed, 3 Nov 2004, John Vetterli wrote:

> On Tue, 2 Nov 2004 17:40:13 -0500 (EST)
> "Peter L. Peres" <plp-ysDPMY98cNQDDBjDh4tngg at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>> The complaint is about the list software accepting the fake cbbrowne's
>> sender credentials. It should not.
>
> How can a mailing list server verify who is sending a message?  (Short
> of requiring all posters to sign their messages with PGP/GPG.)

I've no idea but if you are right then anyone could send email (and spam)
to a closed mailing list by faking his sender address. And this does not
happen, or happens rarely ime. I do not know to what lengths the list
software goes to check the sender. It might check the From headers to see
the right domain as origin or something like that. Of course one could
fake that too with the right information. F.ex. the mailing list software
clips off all incoming From headers so the real origin of mail (or spam)
cannot be found, except by examining list software logs, which are
probably not read by anyone because it's a boring and unrewarding task.

Peter