Hello (cbbrowne)

Peter L. Peres plp-ysDPMY98cNQDDBjDh4tngg at public.gmane.org
Tue Nov 2 22:40:13 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2 Nov 2004, Austin wrote:

> On Tue, 2004-11-02 at 14:33 -0500, Peter L. Peres wrote:
>> cbbrowne a virus is spamming the list pretending it's you. I got an
>> email purportedly from you with an attachment called price.cpl, size
>> 21935, md5sum 46bc5fb4b75f02aeb8e573bfa43a0b99 which is almost certainly a
>> virus. Find out what causes this soon.
>
> Ummm, things like that are not usually the person's fault.

That's what the 'purportedly' means above.

> People get viruses "from me" ALL THE TIME, even though I have never run
> Outlook in my life, and I haven't used Windows in about four years.

You want to have fun, contemplate getting viruses from *yourself*, while
having run pine on unix since at least 1996. I got such email in the past.

> Unless you really thing the virus is originating from cbbrowne's machine
> (check the headers to see if he's running Outlook ;-) ), complaining
> about it is just clogging the net even more.  Kinda like the 20 or 30
> messages I get per day saying "your message can not be delivered becuase
> it contains a questionable attachment" or whatever.  Then again, I guess
> this message falls under the same category.  Oh well.

The complaint is about the list software accepting the fake cbbrowne's
sender credentials. It should not.

Peter