linuxcaffe (wi-fi & indie music)

David J Patrick davidjpatrick-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Mon Nov 1 16:24:41 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-11-01 at 10:16, Steve wrote:
> David, did you say that Linux Caffe would have *free* wi-fi 802.11b
> access (for those patrons that have their own laptops/handhelds)?

I never said, actually !
The plan, at this point, is to allow (capped) WiFi (802.11g) access to
registered users. There will be a small fee ($12 annual ?) and with that
comes a user name + logon ID, Wifi MAC address registration and a
smallish home directory.

> Also, I'd be interested in finding out how to get our independent
> band's music involved with Linux Caffe!

Simple !
the theoretical steps are;

1) register (the current website registration is insuficient, a more
robust user management database will be implimented)

2) sign the MDA (media duplication agreement; in development) that
describes what media you'd like to distribute, how much you'd like to be
paid (if anything) for each element (song, video) and where and how
payments are to be made (paypal preferable). In the MDA you also certify
that you have authority to enter such an agreement (ownership of
copyrights), you agree that linuxcaffe is free of liability, and grant
duplication rights according to the terms of the agreement, and
unlimited rights to play material on the caffe "jukebox". The agreement
is non-exclusive and can be terminated by you anytime with one weeks
notice. It can be suspended or terminated by linuxcaffe if it turns out
that the material has been illegally submitted.

3) hand over (or upload) your media, including associated graphics
files, and we post in with the other artists in the music section.

When a (paid) download occurs, or we burn a copy at the caffe, your cut
is instantly deposited to the paypal account. You will be a member of
the "artist" group and have access to your material (for additions,
subtractions or updates) via ftp, as well as access to view/ sample/
duplication/ payment stats. You will have the option to have a donation
button (and custom comment) on your artist page.

This system is not yet ready !
I will try to cook up some kind of waiting list, so you can be notified
when it is ! Of course, haunting linuxcaffe.ca, as well as this TLUG
list will keep you in the loop !

thoughts ? concerns ? artist perspectives ?
djp