Fouled-up smtp...

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Sun May 30 03:01:50 UTC 2004

On Sat, May 29, 2004 at 03:00:58PM -0400, Marcus Brubaker wrote:
> Definitely.  MTAs seems to be just about as contentious (amongst people
> who care) as any of the holy wars.  For the most part I've found peoples
> preferences to be based on what they learned first.  Perhaps the moral
> is configuring MTAs is so painful you only want to learn to do it once
> and refuse to believe that any other piece of software might have been
> easier or better :)

I started with sendmail, and I hope to never use it again.  I also used
zmailer for a while, which was simpler to configure, and way faster, but
eventually dropped it due to too many security holes and went back to
sendmail hell for a bit.  Then I encountered exim, and loved it.  Hate
the docs (or lack there of) in exim3, but 4 seems better documented at
least.  Postfix looks nice, but I haven't had a reason to give up on
exim yet.

> That said, I do think that Sendmail is more intimidating to learn than
> some of the other mailers.  Particularly if you don't know SMTP inside
> and out when you start.  The Sendmail config file is just terrifying at
> first look.

Or the 1000th look.

Lennart Sorensen