testing open ports

William Park opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org
Fri May 28 15:14:18 UTC 2004

On Fri, May 28, 2004 at 09:54:14AM -0400, Emma Jane Hogbin wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm working on a web site that includes streamed rich media files. I need
> a way to test to see which ports the user can access if they're behind a
> firewall. I'm guess that I need to try and send them an object (a picture
> maybe?) on one of the ports I need information about and then see if the
> picture is received or not. This needs to test the user's open ports, not
> the server's though.
>
> There must be some kind of script already written that can do this for me
> (Perl package, maybe?).
>
> Any suggestions would be appreciated,
> emma

Usual tool is 'nmap'.  Why not have the user enter the port info on the
webpage?  Or, send back to the port they connected from, like usual?

--
William Park, Open Geometry Consulting, <opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org>
Linux, Bash, Vim, TeX/LaTeX, Python, Mozilla, OpenOffice, Thin-Client