which distro for multitrack sound?

David Colebatch david-nuEF980otx7IfpyC97YFaV6hYfS7NtTn at public.gmane.org
Wed May 26 22:44:52 UTC 2004

Lennart Sorensen wrote:

>On Tue, May 25, 2004 at 10:40:29PM -0400, Chris Aitken wrote:
>

>>Thanks. I read a few pages at that site. Agnula's ReHMuDi looks like
>>just the ticket! It looks like a friend on this list is mailing me a
>>copy on CD. I might try DeMuDi. Debian scares me -- I have a stabel
>>installation that someone did for me, but I tried to install it once and
>>got hung at the sixth (or whichever) screen...
>>

>I thought DeMuDi was Debian Music Distribution?  I thought it had died
>out again having not heard of it in a long time.

Certainly there hasn't been an installer built for v1.1.0, but
devlopment seems to be alive and well for its constituent packages.
Plus, being debian based, you can start with a Woody base install, then
using apt-get, install all the packages required for DeMuDi, using a
DeMuDi repository. (There's a guide here:
http://www.agnula.org/download/demudi/demudi_1_1_0_apt )

>The 2.6 kernels in debian testing are pretty low latancy too, and
>probably have better support than the low latency patches.

I know my sound card on this laptop sounds _much_ better using ALSA
under 2.6.6. This is my first 2.6 kernel, and I love it :)

-David