Officially OT -> Re:My fiscal responcibility...

John Macdonald john-Z7w/En0MP3xWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org
Tue May 25 03:21:45 UTC 2004

On Sat, May 22, 2004 at 11:02:22PM -0400, Lloyd Budd wrote:

> On 22-May-04, at 22:55, James Knott wrote:
> >Well, science is generally demonstratable and provable.  Faith is
> >simply what some people believe, with little or no basis in reality.
> >
> >If I make a claim in science, I have to provide a complete description
> >of the process taken to arrive at a conclusion and it must be
> >repeatable.  With faith, there is little to substantiate the claims.
>
> You say God it is just fiction .  Prove it ;-)

The scientific claim must be cast in terminology that
permits tests that will either prove or disprove the claim.
The tests that a claim passes, the greater the scope and
credence that are given to the theory.

Define God in a way that can be tested, and your theory
can be proved or disproved.  Define God in a way that
is defined solely by belief and distant unverifiable
statement, and you do not have a theory, but a myth.
That myth may be true - but your definition provides no
assistance in determining whether that is the case.

Often some of the most useful scientific theorems are
ones that are wrong, but which suggest such useful areas
of exploration in their predictions that the results that
disprove the theorem are so astounding that our view is
drastically changed.