Officially OT -> Re:My fiscal responcibility...

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Sun May 23 00:26:45 UTC 2004

On Sat, May 22, 2004 at 08:00:23PM -0400, Madison Kelly wrote:
>   Now I know you where making a joke (with the possibility that you
> were not) but for some here (myself included) "religion" is certainly
> not a delusion now is morality an illusion.
>
>   Many people are Atheists or Agnostic and that is fine but for some
> religion is key to their life and how they move through it. Morality is
> something that is often lacking in this world that, if it was cultured,
> would help reduce the endless anger and violence. Isn't Linux
> essentially a morality? The morality being that sharing makes for a
> better world (in this case software). Profit making aside, everyone in
> Linux must contribute to keep the whole going. Look how well it has worked.

Actually as long as some qualified people contribute, the rest don't
HAVE to contribute.  It will still work just fine.  There are many users
of Linux who think it is their right to have everything for nothing, and
expect everything to work and people to fix it for them if it doesn't.
Fortunately the system doesn't break because of this.

As for religion, I unfortunately think some people use religion as an
excuse to not be moral.  Fortunately it seems pretty rare.

>   Now if only we could take the Linux morality to other aspects of life
> (and beyond kindergarden where the idea still thrives).

Hmm, I wonder what kindergardens you have seen.  I find most kids that
age have no concept of morals, only of desire to have things their way.
:)

Lennart Sorensen