Can I delete all files/directories under /tmp

CLIFFORD ILKAY clifford_ilkay-biY6FKoJMRdBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Tue May 18 23:18:17 UTC 2004

At 15:40 14/05/2004 -0400, G. Matthew Rice wrote:
>lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org (Lennart Sorensen) writes:>
> > Yeah Debian does very little by default.  It will do just about anything
> > you ask it to though as soon as you ask.
>
>It's still the best distro for everyone.  no exceptions.  especially for
>those Gentoo freaks :)

I am new to Gentoo and so far, I am *very* impressed. It has been very well
thought out. I had avoided it for a long time because I did not relish the
thought of compiling everything from source. After reading the install
docs, I found out that one can compile as much or as little as one desires.
There is something called GRP (Gentoo Reference Platform) which is
essentially  binaries of all the things that one can compile from source.
Gentoo's package management system, Portage, works fine with either source
or binary. As it turned out, I compiled everything from source anyway since
I really did not need the system that I was installing on to be available
very quickly. It was very painless, I learned many new tricks, and
OpenOffice is as fast on the first launch on that system as MS Office is.
Nice! So, you can now count me as a "Gentoo freak":)

Regards,

Clifford Ilkay
Dinamis Corporation
3266 Yonge Street, Suite 1419