Can I delete all files/directories under /tmp

Kevin Cozens kcozens-qazKcTl6WRFWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org
Fri May 14 14:40:19 UTC 2004

At 12:01 AM 05/14/2004, you wrote:
>I want to flash everything from /tmp and put mp3's there to burn to a CD.
>
>Can that cause any problems?

It would be better to create a separate directory somewhere else which you
can use for burning CDs/ISOs rather than using /tmp.

It is usually safe to remove most files from /tmp but you need to look at
what is there first rather than just blindly going 'rm -r /tmp'. X, MySQL,
and some other programs create files/directories under /tmp when the
programs start and they should not be deleted without shutting down the
program first.

Rebooting your machine will not automatically delete files from /tmp unless
you have set up your machine to do so. However, it is typical to have a
cron job which runs once a day(?) which will delete files/directories under
/tmp which have not been used for a while (typically 7 days).

I don't know about your problem burning MP3's. I don't use MP3 files at
all. Any time I need to burn a CD I use XCDRoast. It makes burning easier
than invoking cdrecord manually.

Cheers!

Packet:ve3syb-XXPEJ3/fxIc at public.gmane.org#con.on.ca.na|  Try to assimilate the world!"