unresolved symbols

Goldwyn Rodrigues goldwyn_r-YSGFQ8SKJZVDPfheJLI6IQ at public.gmane.org
Mon May 17 03:34:12 UTC 2004

> I have no idea what I'm doing wrong, but the kernel I just compiled
> (it's a 2.4.22 with openmosix patch applied) has problems with modules.
> When I run:
>
> make dep clean bzImage modules modules_install
> cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.22-openmosix-3
>
> everything compiles and installs.  However, depmod reports unresolved
> symbols for (AFAICS) *all* modules.  I have tried mrproper and
> recompile, but I'm stuck.  I've never had this happen for all modules,
> and google didn't give me many leads to run down (none helped).
>
> What am I missing?  Am I going to have a problem with module-init-tools
> (module handling for 2.6 kernels)?  Docs say it should "silently" use
> old tools when it finds an older kernel . . . perhaps it doesn't?

It is possible that even after installing module-init-tools is the problem.
Check the version of modprobe/insmod giving the -V option. Kernel 2.4 uses
modutils (older module handling tools) wheras 2.6 uses module-init-tools.
When you install module-init-tools, it renames the old files to insmod.old,
modprobe.old .... etc. when a module operation is request the program first
checks the kernel version and then fires the required program. Pleas4e check
if you have the old modutils in place, by checking their versions.

Later kernel have "make install" which do the needful of copying the
required files to the respective locations.

Regards,

--
Goldwyn :o)