unresolved symbols

Anton Markov anton-F0u+EriZ6ihBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Mon May 17 01:30:20 UTC 2004

Hi,

Jeremy Wakeman wrote:
> When I run:
>
> make dep clean bzImage modules modules_install
> cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.22-openmosix-3

I believe you also need to copy
cp arch/i386/boot/System.map /boot/System.map-openmosix-3

into the boot directory as well, although I am not 100% sure on that one.

> everything compiles and installs.  However, depmod reports unresolved
> symbols for (AFAICS) *all* modules.  I have tried mrproper and
> recompile, but I'm stuck.  I've never had this happen for all modules,
> and google didn't give me many leads to run down (none helped).
Since you are using Debian, may I recommend you use the Debian way of
compiling a kernel (kernel-kpkg). Here is moer info:
<http://newbiedoc.sourceforge.net/system/kernel-pkg.html>

That will make sure all the proper files are included in the package and
installed.

> What am I missing?  Am I going to have a problem with module-init-tools
> (module handling for 2.6 kernels)?  Docs say it should "silently" use
> old tools when it finds an older kernel . . . perhaps it doesn't?
No, the error you are getting comes from the old tools which are being
used in place of the new ones. You are OK in this area.

--
Anton Markov <("anton" + "@" + "truxtar" + "." + "com")>

GnuPG Key fingerprint =
5546 A6E2 1FFB 9BB8 15C3  CE34 46B7 8D93 3AD1 44B4

*** LINUX - MAY THE SOURCE BE WITH YOU! ***