Questions about UPS+surge protector

William Park opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org
Mon May 17 04:16:58 UTC 2004

On Sun, May 16, 2004 at 11:33:53PM -0400, Fraser Campbell wrote:
> I know you've had good luck with those Tim but I am not impressed by
> them.  My first was an older style powerbar (just slightly bulkier
> than the one you have), it was an end-of-line and the battery was
> toast in less than a year.
>
> My second was the same style as yours just the lower powered 350.  One
> day my wife turned on the vaccuum cleaner and my computer rebooted,
> not impressed.  I now have another APC unit (succour for punishment)
> it's an XP1000 ... you can pick them up for around $150 from Costco or
> Future Shop.  If this one turns out to be unimpressive as well I think
> I'll give up on UPS equipment (the consumer priced stuff) and just
> stick with surge suppression.

I'll say again... You're spending money to learn the same lesson over
and over again.  Try something else.  Get a decent power supply (I don't
mean wattage here).  Then, try turning on the vacuum.

--
William Park, Open Geometry Consulting, <opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org>
Linux solution/training/migration, Thin-client