Questions about UPS+surge protector

Fraser Campbell fraser-eicrhRFjby5dCsDujFhwbypxlwaOVQ5f at public.gmane.org
Mon May 17 03:33:53 UTC 2004

On Saturday 15 May 2004 12:21, Tim Writer wrote:

> Getting back on topic, last summer I bought myself an APC Back-UPS Office
> 500.  It's a "power bar" style UPS with 3 battery powered sockets and 3
> surge only.  I got it at Above All on Bloor St. and was lucky enough to get
> the older model with serial ports so no messing with USB (although I
> understand the USB models are now supported by nut).  While we have
> frequent short power outages in the Summer, since then, excluding the big
> blackout, I've had zero downtime due to power loss.

I know you've had good luck with those Tim but I am not impressed by them.  My
first was an older style powerbar (just slightly bulkier than the one you
have), it was an end-of-line and the battery was toast in less than a year.

My second was the same style as yours just the lower powered 350.  One day my
wife turned on the vaccuum cleaner and my computer rebooted, not impressed.
I now have another APC unit (succour for punishment) it's an XP1000 ... you
can pick them up for around $150 from Costco or Future Shop.  If this one
turns out to be unimpressive as well I think I'll give up on UPS equipment
(the consumer priced stuff) and just stick with surge suppression.